Monday, December 22, 2008

It's a roller coaster of holidays around here

On the upside, I had TURKEY yesterday. I went to a Christmas party with actual holiday music, a tree, and a turkey. And I got to meet a bunch of really fun people!!! Can't beat that this time of year. It gave me a real lift in my spirits and I basked in that glow for hours.

Now I'm trying to stay upbeat, but it's hard. I'd LOVE to bake some cookies on this cold rainy day, but honestly, we're back to the problems of 1) no mixer (creaming butter and sugar by hand is time consuming but possible though so okay) 2) no butter (I'd have to go to the store) 3) no rack in the oven so it will take me twice as long to bake the recipe on a single layer with no baking sheet....By the time I do all this, Peanut will be awake and baking will be impossible. Meanwhile my parents are visiting with my sister and brother-in-law right now. They're doing puzzles, baking cookies, watching Christmas movies and generally doing all the things that I'd really like to be doing. *sigh* I'd love to write about anything else besides how bad I feel for myself, but it's hard for me right now.

Thankfully, I've got an AFWJ Christmas party tomorrow. Did I forget to mention that I joined AFWJ?!! Thank heavens I did! I have no idea what I'll take to the party since I can't begin to imagine what to bake/cook in this kitchen without my favorite ingredients or tools, but at this point, I'm just excited to have the opportunity for one more dose of Christmas cheer!

2 comments:

  1. My family had a big 'Christmas lunch/dinner' yesterday... spent the whole day playing soccer and cricket/throwing the frizbee, having the complete Aussie style Christmas BBQ, and I wasn't there:(

    Knowing that your family is doing the things you wish you could be doing makes times like this difficult... I understand completely!

    Oh, and good on you for joining AWFJ!! I joined back in September and I am so glad that I did!! I haven't been able to meet very many people yet, but due to AWFJ I met a lovely lady and her family that only live 20 minutes away from me - AWFJ is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with trying to keep up the Christmas spirit while you miss all the familiar things from home. Enjoy the AFWJ party! And thanks for commenting on my blog, much appreciated! *ICLW*

    ReplyDelete