Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sweets for the sweet

The other day Gboy and I were out and about doing some errands when he had a craving for some cheesecake. Specifically, he wanted cheesecake from Florence. My husband doesn't have a sweet tooth like I do, but he loves this particular patisserie and now that we're in Japan for a while it seems he's planning to take advantage of our close proximity to make numerous visits. Oh twist my arm already. On Saturday we headed to Florence with my mother-in-law and my daughter in tow. As we approached I could see quite a few people standing around outside and wondered if this was in fact the line for this little bakery which, while they do a steady business, never seems to have more than a handful of customers at one time. Here we were, looking at a line at least 20 people deep. Sure enough, it was their post-Halloween, November 1st clearance sale and all pastries and cakes were 50% off. We debated whether or not to stand in line for what was sure to be at least 30 minutes, and decided to take a stab at it. After we waited and waited and waited, we made it to the front of the line to order exorbitant amounts of goodies. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the many luscious desserts we purchased, but trust me when I say they looked amazing. I'm not sure I would claim this as my favorite pastry shop in the Osaka area; I'd need much more in-depth research before going that far. However, they make many wonderful and tasty treats and for 50% off the wait was worth it!

Anyone with suggestions of especially good pastry shops in Osaka? I'm also very interested in your ideas for delicious chocolate in Osaka - chocolate cake, cookies, sweets etc. I'm not such a fan of the low cocoa/cacao unsweetened (or differently sweetened?) chocolate that seems to be predominant here in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment