Thursday, April 2, 2009

They say it's my birthday

Tomorrow is my birthday. Rather than dwelling on the crossing of the invisible line demarking "advanced maternal age" (that's right I turn 35 this year), I thought I'd focus on baking. I'm trying to do a lot more baking this year. In fact, I've sort of made it a pet project. I think the challenges presented by baking in Japan spurred me even further than I thought possible. Needless to say, I decided it was time to tackle one of my all-time favorites - a sweet treat I've never seen in Japan - the cannoli.

But that was before I finally succumbed to the germs or allergens. Peanut got sick last week, followed promptly by Gboy which put me back on full-time duty 24 hours a day for several days (Gboy wasn't just sick, he coughed the wrong way and seriously wrenched his back and was out of commission for several days). It's no surprise that I'm under the weather I suppose. But it sucks. I'm just too tired to do anything; and I couldn't taste the cannoli anyway.

And I'm a wee bit sad because no matter how many times I've told Gboy that he doesn't need to celebrate Valentine's Day or Mother's Day or Christmas (he's not a celebrater by nature and his family history either reinforces this or created it - not sure which) I've also told him that birthdays are a "my feelings will be hurt if you don't at least TRY to do something nice" kind of day. In the first few years we were together he really made an effort. Now, I might get dinner. *sigh* It just makes me a little sad.

So I know I need to make it special for myself if it's going to happen at all. Can you tell I've decided that this year's party theme is PITY?

17 comments:

  1. Happy early birthday! I turned 35 in Feb, and I also mentioned AMA in my post. Yuck! Sorry you had to deal with all that sickness, hopefully things are running smoothly again. My husband sucks at birthdays too, he hasn't done much the last couple of years. Oh well, he's great in a lot of other ways. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! I'm sorry it's a sick/non-celebrating kind of day. Sending get-well-soon vibes your way.

    If it makes you feel better, my husband bought me kitchen cabinet pulls for my birthday (Feb 11), and as of today they are collecting dust in a bag on the kitchen table. I'll be shocked if he installs them before my next birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for birthdays!!! Since you're feeling icky, then I'll jump up and down and celebrate your birthday for you! Gboy, get up off your butt and do something nice for our girl..or else ;o)
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a peek at my blog, I'm celebrating your birthday with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday. Might I suggest GBoy get you a gift certificate to a spa on every occasion so you get some pampering from someone! Tell him right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was totally singing that song as I clicked over and had to laugh when I saw it as the title!

    GBoy needs to come through with something super for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy early B-day!!! I'm so almost feeling your pain, I turn 34this July, and I feel the creak of my bio clock nearing it's end.

    Shame on GBoy! Arrange a great date for yourself and a gift cert for a massage and then thank him...put it in his car and then thank him immensely for his thoughtfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww. You're all so sweet and thoughtful. And I always like to hear I'm not the only one with a wonderful husband who just happens to be occasionally, ummmm, "relationship-challenged." I feel a hundred times better thanks to everyone here!!

    Hugs all around!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Hope that you milk it for all it's worth and at least get lots of special cuddles from Peanut and some chill time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Hope your day is special and fun. (My bday is 4/6 and I'll be 35 as well...go April bdays!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!! I hope you're feeling better and get to really celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Darling... Well Happy Birthday!!!! I was thinking about you! I think maybe you can just have a heart to heart with your darling DH- this way he can truly understand how much this means to you- I've had a few of those during my 12 year courtship -- he just needs to understand your feelings, but not let this misinterpret the love he feels for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, CG! First, Happy Birthday! Today is the DAY!!! Second, as I've shared before, my husband isn't a celebrator either...of any day. Which keeps me from stressing out over HIS birthday, Christmas, and Father's Day, but...A flower might be nice! Ne?

    ReplyDelete
  14. ROFL...just realized I'll be 34 not 35. DH's bday is close to mine and HE will be 35. Whewie...am I pathetic, or what? Don't even know my own age? Lol.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! How fantastic! My husband turns 35 this year and I hope he doesn't freak out like he did at 30.

    How wild is it that you're now involved with a Japanese rice farm. Never woulda thunk, hm?

    ReplyDelete