Thursday, October 23, 2008

Calligraphy

I miss having more time to myself. Time to read. Time to browse the internet. Time to listen to one hour-long program on the radio, uninterrupted. And I feel guilty for wanting all those things because I love my daughter; I ADORE her. I think I'm still adjusting to life with an infant. Having said all of that, I think this helps explain why I'm loving having the opportunity to go to a 習字 class (that's calligraphy if my dictionary is serving me well). I get almost one hour of time all to myself while my husband baby-sits. And when I'm listening to the instructor or concentrating on my own work, it's almost like a meditation. My yoga practice fell by the wayside when I was pregnant and since I had my daughter I've been struggling with some muscle and joint issues making yoga uncomfortable to practice. Finding this as a substitute may not only prove to be a great source of "me-time," but I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for me to have some time for relaxation and, with any luck, will give me even more insight into the culture here in Japan. I'm not the most creative person in the world, but I'm generally quite good at following directions, thus, I think this style of class and "art" really suits me and I can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment