Tuesday, August 25, 2009

She flips, she flops

Some of you may recall my lamentations that Peanut had started calling me "Okaasan." I made peace with it more quickly than I had anticipated. After all, when your kid needs you and calls for you in the middle of the night, well, that'll get your attention no matter what she calls you.

But interestingly enough, as suddenly as it came on, it went. Just the other day she stopped using Okaasan when calling for me or talking to me and it hasn't returned. I'm back to "Mama". (Okay once or twice in the wee hours when "Mama, Mama" didn't get her the prompt results she was hoping for I heard her toss in a haphazard "Okaasan" for good measure but it sure didn't sound like she meant it. And it's weird. Because now I kind of miss it.

I don't think I miss the actual name as much as I miss that phase of her life. It's just one more reminder that much of a child's life is fleeting. Peanut has a tendency to transition (especially in the area of language) more quickly than I realize. Before I know it, the old ways are gone. In this case, there was no lead-up. It wasn't like rolling leads to crawling leads to walking....It was there (Okaasan) and then it was gone.

Then again, if the past is any indicator, it may not be gone forever.

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful - what a perfect example of the constant transformation that the little ones go through. It is really wonderful that you are so aware of your own responses to all these changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know just what you mean. Bean has been saying the cutest things lately -- like he'll go "YESSSSS!" and pump his arms up and down. It's so sweet, sounds a bit more like "yesh." I realized that he won't always do that, and it made me a bit sad.

    Then again, I am enjoying each phase of his life so much. When they are older, it will open up a whole new world of fun things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've never been there but I would love to visit Seattle! Interestingly, my other sister currently lives in NC as well :) We seem to have a lot in common!

    It's wonderful that you are raising your daughter in a bilingual household!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Jun just about has the word "living room" mastered. I'll really miss hearing "lililoom".

    ReplyDelete