Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"After Care" Summary

Had a visit with my doctor and she's convinced that I'm actually suffering from migraines and not sinus headaches. She asked if there's a family history of migraines and I said no. After talking to my parents later in the day, I now know that I was mistaken. My father's mother apparently suffered from occasional migraines. Well. That was news to me and suddenly cast a very different light on my experience.

As for the impaired hearing, she thinks I may be dealing with a blockage in the inner ear which hopefully my prescription for Flonase will help to resolve. Nevertheless, she is recommending a hearing test in order to get more information.

So. Now we wait. We hope for no further migraines like the one I had in early July. And we hope that the Flonase clears the blockage and restores my hearing.

In the meantime, I'm happy to be feeling well physically otherwise. Did I mention I tried Zumba for the first time last week? And I've been going to yoga classes 2-3 times a week for the last few weeks. I'm determined to focus on myself and my health in an attempt to tamp down a rising anxiety about a life lived in two countries and two houses and packing and travel and making and keeping friends in two places and having no career in either place and feeling generally uncertain about how to make decisions and proceed with life from this place of confusion. But more on that later....

5 comments:

  1. Hello!

    "We worry as though we had a thousand years to live! Let us rather strive after the gentle humor of the heart, which knows how to smile at the world."

    ~Nico

    I have that poster! It hung on the wall in my senior year composition classroom. I had been admiring it all year and contemplated stealing it, but I asked my teacher if I could have it. It's hanging on the wall at my work 21 years later. It has been "my" quote all this time.

    I found your comment about it through a google search – I thing the clown was a '70s boy with long hair, but it could be a girl. I thought it was a boy because it reminded me of me when I was a kid with my Pete's Dragon haircut.

    I still can't figure out who "Nico" is. Do you know anything about that? Perplexing. I'd like to know more about where it came from.

    Take care!
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! Thinking about the poster got me talking about it on Facebook today. I scanned and posted it to show my friends. I made the album viewable by Everyone, so hopefully you'll be able to see it.

    Click!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking about you a lot - glad you may have some answers about the persistent headaches and dizziness etc. - (warning: assvice ahead) my uncle was able to treat his migraines with caffeine, by eliminating all caffeine from his diet, and then drinking a cup of coffee whenever he did get a migraine - it worked for him, but I have no idea if this is medically or scientifically sound procedure!

    Also with the friends thing - realizing that I have a lot of guilt about "abandoning" my friends in the US (one in particular) - colors a lot of my feelings and thoughts about making new friends. Your situation also reminds me a bit of when I went to grad school, while my husband was teaching in VA and I was studying in NY, we owned a home in VA and rented an apartment in NY and he commuted back and forth every weekend. We even did this for a semester after our daughter was born. It was not easy maintaining two houses even just 400 miles apart, and I know my friendships in VA suffered for it (I think the guilt started way back then, actually).

    I guess I may have hijacked your comments here.... but hoping that you do get some good help for the migraines cause, wow, PAIN.

    ReplyDelete